Thursday, November 26, 2015

Not Always Right

One of my favorite blogs to read back in the day was http://notalwaysright.com/. It is a very funny website with customer service stories. Since I work customer service and retail, I'm debating on whether or not I should add my own.

Customer service, especially over the holiday season is insane. Not only do you have long insane hours, but you have insane customers. I am thankful tomorrow I will be going to a call center and I no longer have to work face to face retail.

Anyway here is a sample of a story from Not Always Right:

A Cent-less Discount

 | WINDSOR, ON, CANADA | BAD BEHAVIORMONEY
Me: “Thank you for calling [Company]. My name is [My Name], and how is it I can assist you this evening?”
Customer: “MY SERVICE HAS BEEN OUT FOR AN HOUR AND HALF! FIX IT NOW!”
Me: “All right, sir. I can definitely assist you with that.”
(I go through basic troubleshooting and resolve the issue.)
Me: “All right, sir. Is there anything else I can do for you this evening?”
Customer: “YEAH! HOW DO YOU PLAN TO COMPENSATE ME FOR THIS?!”
Me: “Excuse me?”
Customer: “How do you plan to compensate me for this? I wasn’t able to use my service for an hour and a half. I had to just sit here with nothing to do, and then I’ve been on the phone with you for an hour and a half, and I want compensation!”
Me: “Okay, so you were out for an hour and a half and spent 15 minutes on the phone with me, and you want compensation. Is that correct?”
Customer: “Yes, and how much is that going to be?”
Me: “I’m not sure, sir, let me check your bill and I’ll find out.”
(Since throughout the entire call the customer had been rude and screaming at me I decide I am going to go completely by the book and not just give him a 5 dollar credit, like I normally would. After checking his bill and calculating it down perfectly to the hour and 45 minutes I come back to the phone and inform him:)
Me: “All right, sir, so after calculating how much it cost you for the hour and 45 minutes you were out of service, it comes to a grand total of 37 cents. Would you like me to apply this to your bill?”
Customer: “Oh, h***, no! I want more than that. I want your supervisor!”
Me: “Well, unfortunately my supervisor is not available at this time of night, and it cost you 37 cents for that hour and a half and how long you’ve been speaking to me. Now, is there anything else I can assist you with?”
Customer: “No!” *click*
(I did apply the 37 cents credit just to rub it in his face for being such an unpleasant person.)

No comments:

Post a Comment